Job Title: Junior Environmental Scientist
Location: Edmonton, AB
Employment Type: Permanent Full-Time
SWAT Consulting Inc. is a multi-disciplinary environmental consulting firm with offices located throughout North America. SWAT specializes in comprehensive spill response, emergency management, emergency preparedness and training, assessment, remediation and reclamation in terrestrial and aquatic environments.
SWAT provides a positive work environment, stimulating career opportunities and competitive compensation and benefits packages. We offer our employees the ability to gain experience in spill efforts across Canada and the USA, where opportunities arise.
SWAT Consulting Inc. is seeking a Junior Environmental Scientist for our Western Canada division to join our Edmonton office. The appropriate candidate will be self-motivated with a strong work ethic; the position is approximately 90% field based with a focus on assessment, remediation, and spill response. The role requires the candidate to be available on weekends and evenings on an as needed basis for emergency spill response.
- Participating in emergency spill response including initial containment and recovery.
- Conducting Phase 1 and 2 Environmental Site Assessments and Detailed Site Assessments under the direction and supervision of an intermediate or senior scientist.
- Assisting in onsite management of remediation excavations.
- Assisting in directing heavy equipment and drill rig contractors.
- Participating in field programs involving sampling and monitoring of soil, surface water and groundwater.
- Preparing technical reports including the development of conceptual site models, remediation action plans, and assessment and remediation reports.
- Providing technical and problem-solving skills in the field.
- Building strong collaborative relationships with SWAT employees.
- Degree or technical diploma in an environmental discipline.
- 0-3 years experience within the Oil and Gas, or related industry.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Familiarity with upstream oil and gas regulatory requirements including Alberta Tier 1 and 2 Guidelines, CCME Guidelines and AER Directives 50 and 58.
- Demonstrated organizational and safety leadership skills.
- Flexibility and desire to work onsite for extended periods, occasionally in remote locations.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently in a team-based environment.
- Excellent time management, written and verbal communication skills.
- An enthusiastic attitude, ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, and a passion for consistently delivering outstanding work.
- An eagerness to work with a dynamic team and a growth-oriented company.
- Critical thinking with a focus on efficient task execution.
- Computer and software proficiency (Microsoft Office, Adobe DC, ESRI, WellViewer, ABADATA, FWMIS).
- Must possess a valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- Working towards or eligible for a professional designation with one of Alberta’s professional regulatory organizations (AIA, ASPB, APEGA, CAPF, CAPFT, ASET, ACPA).
- Understanding of ground disturbance procedures.
- Familiarity or experience with QGIS or ArcGIS.
- Vegetation, wildlife, and/or fisheries identification.
- Experience working around or with heavy equipment (construction or agriculture).
There are no ceilings at SWAT, and we are an equal opportunity employer. Advancement opportunities are based on achievement results and flexibility to stretch beyond your comfort zone.
Why you will love to work here
SWAT has developed into a community of driven professionals that will do whatever it takes to execute tasks correctly, efficiently, and with integrity to our clients and to our personal ethics. There are no limits at SWAT, where everyone is encouraged to take risks and to grow and develop into their areas of interest and ability. SWAT supports a diverse work environment, is managed and staffed by professionals, and supports its employee’s health and development through comprehensive health benefits, training opportunities, percentage of RRSP matching, and profit-sharing.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please note that we will only contact individuals selected for interviews.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been selected. We thank all applicants in advance for their applications; however, we will only contact individuals selected for interviews.
Thank you for your interest in SWAT Consulting Inc.
← Back to Careers