Job Title: Intermediate Environmental Scientist – Office
Location: Edmonton, AB
Employment Type: Permanent Full-Time
SWAT is a multi-disciplinary environmental consulting firm. We provide professional support and expertise to clients in the Oil and Gas, Construction, and Rail industries. We specialize in emergency spill response; emergency management, training, and preparedness; and assessment, remediation, and reclamation of terrestrial and aquatic environments.
You are an intermediate environmental scientist with a record of providing high quality Phase 1 ESA deliverables and a keen attention to detail when managing data. You enjoy and thrive on background research, discovering hidden drilling sumps, and rolling your eyes at old drilling practices. You have the ability to confidently direct process improvement, looking to gain efficiencies and quality in reporting and data management techniques. You know what it takes to build your role and leverage your experience, confidence, and communication skills to support your continued growth and the needs of a team of highly driven professionals.
You will fulfill the following responsibilities as an Intermediate Environmental Scientist:
Phase 1 ESA Reporting – 50% of responsibilities
- Preparing technical Phase 1 ESA reports, which includes:
- Ordering and interpreting air photos and preparing drafting requests.
- Reviewing available databases and client files.
- Contacting and interviewing landowners regarding site history and concerns.
- Reviewing drilling waste disposal information (D50, D58, Tour Reports, etc.).
- Completing the Compliance Option checklist and calculations.
- Submitting reports through AER’s OneStop.
- You will direct the constant improvement in Phase 1 ESA reporting, including development and maintenance of standard operating procedures/protocol.
- Lead or coordinate Phase 1 ESA completion.
- Mentoring and training junior staff for Phase 1 ESA reporting.
Data Entry and Data Management – 50% of responsibilities
- We generate a lot of data in the field that needs to be imported into spreadsheets, word documents, pdfs, and borehole data entry software.
- These data need to be put into templates efficiently and accurately to support analysis and report conclusions.
- Much of these data are environmental laboratory analysis for soil and water samples which ties in with environmental regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that reports and data are complete, accurate, and professional.
- Provide letter summaries of data to assist project managers with client communication.
We are an emergency management company. With this comes the requirement for occasional after-hours work for data entry on weekends or evenings as the need arises (e.g. during an emergency spill response). We augment this requirement by supplying everyone with high-end laptops and cell phone plans, providing everyone with an unlimited days off policy on requested days off (when possible), and by offering competitive wages.
In addition, as a candidate for this position, you meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Hold a B.Sc. in environmental science, geoscience, environmental engineering, or a related discipline.
- Technical diplomas in environmental science and related disciplines will be considered for candidates with appropriate experience.
- Currently registered or eligible to become a member of either AIA, ASPB, ACPA, APEGA, or ASET.
- Four or more years experience completing Phase 1 ESAs and other environmental work for the oil and gas industry.
- Fewer years experience may be considered for candidates with large portions of their experience directly related to Phase 1 ESAs.
- You will have experience with environmental regulatory requirements for remediation.
- Have excellent technical writing, data entry, and communication skills.
- Function well independently and have the ability to motivate yourself to stay on task and the drive to initiate process improvement.
- Highly conscientious, with fine attention to detail and genuine concern to produce high-quality products.
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office.
- Able to stay organized and to prioritize task completion.
- Experience in data analysis and research skills.
- Ability to manage and mentor junior staff and track costs.
- An understanding of higher functions of Excel such as macros and data downloading or analysis.
Why you will love to work here
SWAT has developed into a community of driven professionals that will do whatever it takes to execute tasks correctly, efficiently, and with integrity to our clients and to our personal ethics. There are no limits at SWAT, where everyone is encouraged to take risks and to grow and develop into their areas of interest and ability. SWAT supports a diverse work environment, is managed and staffed by professionals, and supports its employee’s health and development through comprehensive health benefits, training opportunities, percentage of RRSP matching, and profit-sharing.
Apply to join the SWAT team in our Edmonton, Alberta office by submitting your resume with the subject line PHASE1-2019 and your cover letter in the email body to email@example.com. Please note that we will only contact individuals selected for interviews.
Thank you for your interest in SWAT Consulting Inc.
← Back to Careers