Job Title: Intermediate or Senior Aquatic and Wetland Biologist
Location: Edmonton, AB
Employment Type: Permanent Full-Time
SWAT Consulting Inc. is a multi-disciplinary environmental consulting firm. We provide professional support and expertise to clients in the oil and gas, construction, and rail industries. We specialize in emergency spill response; emergency management, training, and preparedness; and assessment, remediation, and reclamation of terrestrial and aquatic environments.
SWAT Consulting Inc. has an immediate requirement for a permanent, full-time Intermediate or Senior Aquatic and Wetland Biologist in a 50/50 to 75/25 field/office role in our Edmonton, Alberta office.
You are an intermediate to senior aquatic and wetland biologist with a record of providing high quality Water Act, Alberta Wetland Policy, and Public Lands Act deliverables. You have developed a keen attention to detail, and you are able to develop and foster this skill in others. You have experience submitting Water Act applications through OneStop, including the wetland submission tab and the associated shapefile requirements. You have completed turbidity monitoring during construction and HDD, and foster a sense of good will and cooperation with construction personnel. You enjoy and thrive on background research, and cooperate with construction personnel to reach practicable interpretation of the legislation. Your fish identification skills are on point, and you are creative and practical when developing fish habitat improvements through erosion and sediment control plans and Alberta Transportation fish habitat compensation. You have the ability to confidently direct process improvement, looking to gain efficiencies and quality in reporting and data management techniques. You know what it takes to build your role and leverage your experience, confidence, and communication skills to support your continued growth and the needs of a team of highly driven professionals. You are qualified and competent to self register as a QAES and have sufficient experience with an Alberta Pro-10 to be registered as an authenticating professional for wetlands.
You will fulfill the following responsibilities as an Intermediate or Senior Aquatic and Wetland Biologist:
Preparing WAIFs and WAIRs, which includes:
- Ordering and interpreting air photos to delineate wetlands.
- Completing vegetation, soils, fisheries, and wildlife field assessments.
- Reviewing available databases and client files.
- Reviewing applicable legislation (Crown Ownership, Alberta Wetland Policy, Water Act).
- Obtaining ABWRET-A or ABWRET-D wetland values.
- Submitting reports through AER’s OneStop.
Submitting Water Act applications and COP notifications, which includes:
- Preparing watercourse crossing mitigation plans (pipeline and roadways).
- Preparing erosion and sediment control plans.
- Applying for TDLs and TFAs where required.
- Completing First Nations consultation and ACO submissions.
- Reviewing engineered drawings for proposed crossings to ensure compliance with fish passage.
Fisheries and aquatics work, including:
- Following SWAT’s biophysical control point data collection protocol, you will assess watercourses within the context of emergency management planning.
- Completing fish habitat assessments and associated reporting for watercourse crossing proposals.
- Submitting fisheries research license applications, completing fish salvage, and submitting fisheries load forms.
- Supervising construction in waterbodies, implementing mitigation, and monitoring turbidity.
- Completing daily reporting associated with field work.
Additional responsibilities as assigned or as interested.
We are an emergency management company. With this comes the requirement for occasional after-hours work on weekends or evenings as the need arises (e.g. during an emergency spill response). We augment this requirement by supplying everyone with high-end laptops and cell phone plans, providing everyone with an unlimited days off policy on requested days off (when possible), and by offering competitive wages.
As a candidate for this position, you meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Hold a B.Sc. or higher in environmental science, biology/ecology, environmental engineering, or a related discipline. Technical diplomas in environmental science and related disciplines will be considered for candidates with appropriate experience that are currently registered as authenticating professionals with one of the Alberta Pro-10.
- Currently registered as a member of the ASPB.
- Five or more years experience completing fish habitat assessments, wetland assessments, and associated reporting.
- Willingness and ability to train junior staff on field and office work.
- Have excellent technical writing, data entry, and communication skills.
- Function well independently and have the ability to motivate yourself to stay on task and the drive to initiate process improvement.
- Highly conscientious, with fine attention to detail and genuine concern to produce high-quality products.
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office.
- Experience with ArcGIS and/or QGIS.
- Experience with wildlife identification, mitigation, and capture.
- Ability to manage and mentor junior staff and track costs.
- Experience outside of fisheries and wetlands, including reclamation, remediation, pre-disturbance assessments, and construction monitoring.
- Experience working around heavy equipment.
- Industry safety tickets (H2S, First Aid, Ground Disturbance, OHV).
Why You Want to Work Here
SWAT has developed into a team of driven professionals that will do whatever it takes to execute tasks correctly, efficiently, and with integrity to our clients and to our personal ethics. There are no limits at SWAT, where everyone is encouraged to take risks and to grow and develop into their areas of interest and ability. SWAT supports a diverse work environment, is managed and staffed by professionals, and supports its employee’s health and development through comprehensive health benefits, training opportunities, percentage of RRSP matching, and profit-sharing.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line FISH-2021. For further information about SWAT please visit our website at www.swat-ab.ca.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been selected. We thank all applicants in advance for their applications; however, we will only contact individuals selected for interviews.
Thank you for your interest in SWAT Consulting Inc.
← Back to Careers