Job Title: Reclamation Supervisor / Intermediate Scientist
Location: Calgary or Edmonton, AB
Employment Type: Permanent Full-Time
SWAT Consulting Inc. is a multi-disciplinary environmental consulting firm with offices located throughout North America. SWAT specializes in comprehensive spill response, emergency management, emergency preparedness and training, with a core group of staff specialized in environmental assessment, remediation and reclamation to compliment our emergency management services.
As a small company, SWAT provides a small team focused environment, ample opportunity for on the job learning and accelerating career opportunities, and highly competitive compensation and benefits packages. We offer our employees the ability to gain experience across Canada and the Northern USA, where opportunities arise. Much of our work is focused in central and southern Alberta but travel to British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba may be required periodically.
SWAT Consulting Inc. is seeking a Reclamation Supervisor / Intermediate Environmental Scientist to support our growing Remediation and Reclamation project team. The position can be based out of either Calgary or Edmonton, Alberta, with remote work opportunities available. We are also considering growth opportunities for the Drayton Valley, Grande Prairie and Southeast Alberta regions if there is interest in working remotely from these areas. The appropriate candidate will bring strong technical and field experience. The position is expected to be approximately 70% field-based and 30% office-based with focus on environmental assessment, remediation and reclamation. The role requires the candidate to be available on weekends on an as needed basis, depending on project scheduling and weather.
- Conducting onsite management and supervision of remedial excavation and reclamation activities, including all ground disturbance preparation and all soil and water sampling activities.
- Conducting Phase 2 Environmental Site Assessments, including the installation of groundwater monitoring wells and assessment of deeper bedrock formations.
- Conducting field programs involving sampling and monitoring of soil and groundwater, as well as vegetation and wetland assessments.
- Conducting detailed site assessments (DSAs) and vegetation management activities required with typical reclamation projects.
- Supervising and directing heavy equipment contractors for various assessment, remediation, and reclamation tasks including critical ground disturbance around buried facilities.
- Assisting with Spill Preparedness and Emergency Management portfolios on an as needed basis with expertise in assessment, remediation and reclamation scopes.
- Preparing technical reports including the development of conceptual site models, Phase 2 ESAs, remediation action plans (RAP), remediation and reclamation reports, groundwater remediation and monitoring reports, and detailed site assessment (DSA) reports.
- Providing technical and problem-solving skills in the field as a site supervisor, including management of multiple contractors, scopes and site locations at any given time.
- Supervise, mentor and train junior and intermediate environmental staff on assessment, reclamation, remediation, and monitoring projects.
- Building strong collaborative relationships with SWAT employees and supporting development of SWATs quality control and assurance standards.
- Liaising with clients, project stakeholders, landowners, and regulatory authorities across various projects and jurisdictions.
- Participating in business development towards new and existing clients.
- Working with multiple projects within scope, budget and schedule while ensuring quality on deliverables.
- Degree or technical diploma in an environmental discipline.
- Being a member of a professional association (P.Chem, P.Eng., P. Geo., P.Ag, R.TAg, P.Biol, P.Tech. (Eng.), etc.) would be an asset.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience within the Oil and Gas, or related industry.
- Understanding of upstream oil and gas regulatory requirements including Alberta Tier 1 and 2 Guidelines, CCME Guidelines and AER Directives 50 and 58.
- Familiarity with various remediation technologies (soil and groundwater) and reclamation strategies in cultivated, grassland and forested sites.
- Demonstrated organizational and safety leadership skills, and a desire to improve methods and standards for efficient work completion.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently in a team-based environment.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy and excellent time management, written and verbal communication skills.
- An enthusiastic attitude, ability to multi-task and a passion for consistently delivering outstanding work.
- An eagerness to work with a dynamic team and a growth-oriented company.
- Critical thinking with a focus on efficient task execution and achievement of project objectives.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with multiple work activities concurrently progressing.
- Computer and software proficiency would be an asset (SWAT uses MS Suite, Adobe DC, ESRI, WellViewer, ABADATA, FWMIS).
Why You Will Love to Work Here
SWAT has developed into a community of driven professionals that will do whatever it takes to execute tasks correctly, efficiently, and with integrity to our clients and to our own personal ethics. As a small team with significant growth potential, there are no limits at SWAT, where everyone is encouraged to take risks to learn new tasks and to grow and develop into their areas of interest and ability. SWAT supports a diverse work environment, is managed and staffed by professionals, and supports its employee’s health and development through comprehensive health benefits, training opportunities, percentage of RRSP matching, and profit-sharing.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line Rec-2021. For further information about SWAT please visit our website at www.swat-ab.ca.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been selected. We thank all applicants in advance for their applications; however, we will only contact individuals selected for interviews.
Thank you for your interest in SWAT Consulting Inc.
← Back to Careers