Job Title: Occupational Health and Safety Professional or Practitioner
Location: Edmonton, AB (other locations will be considered)
Employment Type: Permanent Full-Time
SWAT Consulting Inc. is a multi-disciplinary environmental consulting firm with offices located in Western Canada and the USA. SWAT specializes in comprehensive spill response, emergency management, emergency preparedness and training, remediation and reclamation in terrestrial and aquatic environments.
SWAT provides a positive work environment, stimulating career opportunities and competitive compensation and benefits packages. We offer our employees the ability to gain experience in spill efforts across Canada and the USA, where opportunities arise.
SWAT Consulting Inc. is seeking an experienced Occupational Health and Safety Professional or Practitioner for our Western Canada division to join our Edmonton office. As an OH&S Professional, you will be responsible for applying professional health and safety practices at work sites, managing internal and external safety management databases, completing internal COR audits and coordinating external audits, and providing advice and recommendations to internal and external operations in regard to all health and safety matters. This position requires that you are an experienced professional that is able to manage and improve an existing safety system with little or no supervision. You have experience with industry safety management systems such as ISNetworld and ComplyWorks; and a thorough understanding of applicable OH&S and WCB legislation and standards. The ideal candidate will bring strong technical and field experience in oil and gas or construction industries. The position is approximately 90% office-based, with occasional travel to work sites to complete health and safety audits and inspections.
- Provides leadership and advice to operations regarding company OH&S programs and program implementation.
- Manage the company OH&S programs, driving a safety-oriented approach to work.
- Compile, analyze, and interpret occupational health and safety statistical data.
- Provide corrective action recommendations and assist in implementing metrics for tracking and reporting.
- Routinely inspect the facilities, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance.
- Routinely monitor the workforce for unsafe behaviors and train employees on the correct behaviors when observed.
- Develop OH&S training materials.
- Develop a paperwork management system to track training records.
- Coordinate and present safety training to support client requirements.
- Provide leadership of the company’s policies and codes.
- Stay on top of the applicable OH&S legislation and industry best practices.
- Review of contractor provided corporate safety programs, project safety plans, hazard assessments, emergency response plans (general and task specific), and other health and safety programs and guidance documents.
- Complete field visits and site observations to monitor compliance with applicable occupational health and safety standards.
- Lead or participate in the investigation of serious incidents.
- Lead and participate in weekly and monthly contractor’s health and safety meetings.
- Complete internal COR audits, coordinate external COR audits, and address deficiencies.
- 4+ years of OH&S experience, preferably in the oil and gas or construction industries.
- CRSP, CRST, CSP or similar certification with prerequisite formal education and OH&S related work experience qualifications is an asset.
- Working knowledge of OH&S and WCB legislation.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated organizational and safety leadership skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently in a team-based environment.
- Excellent time management, written and verbal communication skills.
- An enthusiastic attitude, ability to multi-task and a passion for consistently delivering outstanding work.
- Critical thinking with a focus on efficient task execution.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to identify problems/issues, generate solutions and make sound decisions using standard procedures.
- Demonstrated willingness to contribute actively to team activities, sharing experiences and ideas.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all personnel.
- Strong computer background including experience with MS Word and Excel.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 driver’s license with driver abstract subject to review.
There are no ceilings at SWAT and we are an equal opportunity employer. Advancement opportunities are based on achievement results and flexibility to stretch beyond your comfort zone.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to [email protected]. For further information about SWAT please visit our website at www.swat-ab.ca.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been selected. We thank all applicants in advance for their applications; however, we will only contact individuals selected for interviews.
Thank you for your interest in SWAT Consulting Inc.
← Back to Careers